Handle All Chemicals Safely
- Read all product instructions and use warnings
- Safety data sheets are available on the Ver-tech Labs website (safety data sheets here)
- Wear all required personal protective equipment when using chemical
Understanding Chemical Dilution Ratios
Proper dilution of cleaning chemicals ensures that
- you are using the right amount for the cleaning application.
- you are not wasting money by using too much chemical.
How do you read a chemical dilution ratio?
- The two numbers of the ratio are telling you how many parts of water for one part of chemical product for a specific application. Remember “1” always references the chemical product.
- Example: The suggested dilution ratio 20:1 means 1 part of chemical product for every 20 parts of water. The same dilution ratio could be written as 1:20 meaning 20 parts of water to 1 part of chemical product.
Why should I care about the suggested chemical dilution ratio?
- It’s very similar to cooking. If you are making a batch of chili and Grandma likes it mild, you might put in only one cup of hot peppers. For Grandpa who likes it to burn his mouth, you might be adding five cups of hot peppers. Different applications (different jobs) will often require a different strength to the solution.
- Looking at suggested dilution ratios is one way to compare similar products. For example: Product A’s suggested ratio for wheel washing is 16:1. Product B’s suggested ratio for wheel washing is 10:1. The graphic below shows that Product A would probably make more wheel washing solution if you used the same amount of chemical. This also means that if you wanted to make the same amount of wheel washing solution, you would need less of Product A than Product B if you wanted to make the same total amount of wheel wash solution.
- Does that sound confusing? – try thinking about it this way. If I have one ounce of Product A and add 16 ounces of water, I have a 17 oz wheel washing solution. If I have one ounce of Product B and add 10 ounces of water, I have a 11 oz wheel washing solution.